Lionel Messi has been recognised by the IFFHS (International Federation of Football, History and Statistics) as the best playmaker of 2016.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner won the trophy last year and has picked it up yet again, with 172 points in the voting from 56 countries across five continents. He won by a huge distance, with No 2 being Andres Iniesta, on 66 points.
Then came Real Madrid star Toni Kroos, third in the vote with 45 points. Another Barcelona player who was ranked was Neymar, picking up 3 points and finishing 12th.
Notably Cristiano Ronaldo did not earn a ranking.
The full list:
1. Lionel Messi (ARG/FC Barcelona) 172 points.
2. Andrés Iniesta (Spain/FC Barcelona) 66
3. Toni Kroos (GER/Real Madrid CF) 45
4. Mesut Özil (GER/Arsenal FC) 39
5. Riyad Mahrez (ALG/Leicester City FC) 36.
5. Luka Modric (CRO/Real Madrid CF) 36.
7. Kevin De Bruyne (BEL/Manchester City FC) 31
8. Paul Pogba (FRA/Juventus/Manchester United) 26
9. Eden Hazard (BEL/Chelsea FC) 14.
10. Dimitri Payet (FRA/West Ham United) 8
11. David Silva (Spain/Manchester City) 5.
12. Neymar (Brasil/FC Barcelona) 3
13. Marek Hamsik (Slovakia/Nápoles) 3
14. Thiago Alcántara (Spain/FC Bayern) 1
15. Javier Pastore (ARG/PSG) 1