Barcelona are looking seriously at the prospect of signing a right-back to cover for the absence of Aleix Vidal. Luis Enrique has asked the board to make an effort to complete his squad and it seems like this time he has won the fight. Barcelona are looking at options in the Spanish league and the debate is now whether it is necessary to advance a signing they wanted to make in the summer, or get an accessible player now on the cheap.
There are eight candidates on Barcelona's list and the decision will be taken in a question of days...
1. Mario Gaspar. At Villarreal, one of the preferred options to reinforce the side in the summer. The technical team all like him. Spanish international who has progressed well in recent years. The handicap is that Villarreal don't need to sell and are tough negotiatiors. Would cost over 20 million.
2. Rukavina. The other right-back at Villarreal. Only has earned chances in the Europa League and Copa del Rey, because of Mario's form. Gets forward well. An easier option and one Barcelona have looked at before. Would only cost 3-4m.
3. Ander Capa. Eibar player, physically impresive. Can play as a winger. Good technique and a lot of power, Premier League clubs are interested. Costs around 10m.
4. Joao Cancelo. Valencia right-back who Luis Enrique has always liked for his attacking work and team-play. Barcelona had him wrapped up for June but Valencia want a lot of money and the player's form has dipped. They are asking for 30m, making it harder for Barcelona to move for him.
5. Jonny Castro. Celta Vigo defender who often plays on the left because Hugo Malla is installed at right-back. Good potential, liked by Lucho, 12m release fee clause.
6. Hugo Mallo. Right back at Celta, Luis Enrique knows exactly what he can give. His release fee is 30m though, and Celta will not sell for less it seems at this stage of the season.
7. Mauro Rosales. Malaga man, linked to Barcelona for a while. They would sell and he would cost 8m, although he is not a priority for Barcelona.
8. Michel Macedo. Las Palmas defender who is useful but an injury means he has almost been ruled out as he is not available immediately.