Luis Suarez revives the illusions of Barcelona supporters
The Uruguayan showed his face on Friday to talk about the loss to PSG in midweek
Luis Suarez never hides. A fighter like he is on the pitch, the Uruguayan was the first Barcelona player to speak to the media since Tuesday’s Champions League loss to PSG. A born winner, the former Liverpool striker was speaking at the presentation of the 12th edition of the book 'Relats Solidaris’. He said that Barca are not dead in the Champions League and that the dressing room is looking forward to a challenge which, if completed, would see them go down in history.
“Our message is clear: we have to believe in ourselves. This club and this team have made history with trophies and trebles, but we have to make our objective turning around this tie so that we are always in Barca’s history. It’s really difficult, but nothing is impossible in football. We won’t give up. It’s true that these last few days have been tough, but I’m sure that when the second leg arrives we will give everything for the shirt,” Suarez said.
Asked if the loss in France was an accident or a sign of the inconstancy shown this season, Suarez responded: “What happened in Paris was a bad game on a general level and we have to accept it. They were superior. Throughout the season we’ve had ups and downs. We have to find the consistency we’ve shown over the last two years.”
Meanwhile, Suarez recognised that what the players most need now is more games: “We’ve been playing ever three days and it’s just now we’ve had a tough defeat. It’s made for some long days since. We want to play as soon as possible to turn things around. Together. There’s no problem internally, like they’ve said. We’re united. Last year we had difficult moments and we won the league and the cup. We’re capable and there’s a lot of quality in the team.”
In a humble speech, the No.9 didn’t want a medal for being the first player to speak out after the PSG game. “You have to take responsibility when you win and also when you lose. If this event would have been on Wednesday or Thursday, maybe I’d have cancelled. But little by little you have to assume responsibility and now’s the time to demonstrate the unity. I had nothing to hide, so I came to speak,” he explained.
In reference to signing a replacement for the injured Aleix Vidal, the Uruguayan tried to keep out of it. “That’s a decision for the manager and Robert Fernandez. Obviously any player that comes is welcome. If someone is signed, I’m sure it will be to add to the team and achieve things,” he expressed.